Soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment have returned to their barracks in Dhekelia this week having completed almost one month exercising in Egypt alongside their counterparts within the Egyptian Armed Forces.

The Joint Service Adventurous Training Centre (Cyprus), Parachute Wing in Dhekelia, unveiled its new aircraft hangar yesterday after it was officially opened by Commander British Forces Cyprus, Major General James Illingworth.

The Sovereign Base Area Police have this week sent out a warning to all road users after heavy rain and strong winds made many of the motorways hugely challenging to drive on. The issue has become even more apparent in recent days, with debris and flash-flooding increasing the danger for drivers.

A search operation carried out by Sovereign Base Area Police officers and sniffer dogs in Dhekelia on February 27 led to a wanted man being arrested on drugs charges by the Cyprus Police in Ayia Napa the following day.
During the search in the Pyla area within the SBAs, approximately one kilogram of what is believed to be cannabis was found close to where the suspect was seen by CyPol officers briefly stopping his car on February 26.
After seizing the substance, which could have a street value of between €3,000 and €7,000 depending on its quality, CyPol officers were able to arrest the man on February 28 when he was seen in Ayia Napa.

Personnel from British Forces Cyprus and the National Guard came together recently to take part in a friendly football match in Episkopi to reinforce the close ties that exist between the two forces.
The match, which took place in Happy Valley, was drawn 5-5 but the result was secondary to the symbolism of the game according to 1st Lieutenant Vassiliou from the National Guard.
Speaking after the match finished, he said: “It was with great pleasure that we took part in the football match between the 4th CRC (based in Troodos) and British Forces Cyprus.
“The football match was arranged within the framework of cooperation of our country's forces and it was intended to reinforce that cooperation climate.”

A Turkish mainlander who has been remanded in custody since his arrest on December 17 for attempting to facilitate the illegal entry of an Iranian national into the Sovereign Base Areas, was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison on Monday after being found guilty in Dhekelia’s SBA Court.
The man, Melik Gulvedi, who lives in Famagusta, was arrested by SBA Police officers after attempting to cross the boundary on foot with an illegal immigrant close to the official Black Knight crossing point in Ayios Nikolaos.
During a police operation in the area, officers apprehended the two men who had hoped to avoid being processed officially by customs officials.

The owner of an illegal casino raided in Ypsonas on Wednesday morning and his receptionist are scheduled to appear in the SBA Court in Episkopi on February 21 after they were bailed on a combined total of €13,000 today.
The man, whose bail was set at €10,000, was charged with operating an illegal casino after police swooped on the premises at 8.30am and discovered the business operating inside.
His receptionist was charged with working in an illegal casino and for obstruction, after she was discovered attempting to shut-down the computers as the police closed in.
During the raid, officers at the scene confirmed approximately 70 computers used for gambling and €2,000 in cash was also seized.

A Palestinian national was sentenced to six months in prison on Monday after he was found guilty of two counts of attempting to the facilitate the illegal entry of two men at the Pergamos boundary on January 31.
The man, Mohammed Aljaro, who lives in Paphos, was attempting to cross over the SBA Customs-manned crossing point at 1am in the morning when he was stopped as part of the officers routine checks.
During that time, Customs officials noticed two men attempting to cross over on foot on the opposite side of the road, without going through the correct process.
According to Customs officials, the two men were immediately stopped and questioned about why they had attempted to cross without going through legal procedures.

A six-person team from RAF Akrotiri have returned to British Forces Cyprus this week in celebratory mood after finishing second in the prestigious Alpine Ski Championships in Austria.
The RAF event, which took place in Saalbach-Hinterglemm between January 12-26, saw a total of 21 teams fighting for the top prize and more than 800 competitors battling for individual honours in a range of categories.
The overall award was calculated after the RAF Akrotiri skiers completed the slalom and giant slalom team races and the fastest three times from each team in both downhill events were aggregated and counted towards the result.
Members of the Akrotiri Environmental and Education Centre and the Cyprus Game Fund, released two pelicans on the salt-lake last week after they had landed close to the RAF Akrotiri runway in November.
The birds – one of which had sustained injuries – were given time to leave the area but after two hours, the environmental team removed the birds, assessed them and they were subsequently taken to the game Fund’s rehabilitation Centre in Nicosia.
After two months of treatment and rest, the birds were back to full-strength and taken back to the salt-lake to be released.
When Michael Georghiou leaves his barber shop in Dhekelia today he will be closing the door on more than 50 years of history with the British Forces in Cyprus.
The 79-year old refugee from Famagusta has become one of the most well-respected members of the BFC community in the Eastern Sovereign Base Areas since he opened his first shop on camp, on September 27, 1974 – shortly after the Turkish invasion.
But whilst he has been working there for close to 45 years, speaking this week from his premises in the heart of the Dhekelia Amenities Centre, he revealed his close association with the British military existed long before that.Reflecting on what he described as “happy times”, he detailed his relationship with the military: “My very first job was working for the British at the Golden Sun Barracks in Famagusta, where I was working as a barber. But in 1960 when the British left, I worked for a business in Famagusta and I was lucky enough to keep a lot of British clients who quickly became my friends.”